TITLE: Project Controls Manager
The incumbent is responsible for providing functional and direct support to ensure Project Controls which are consistent with the Global Capital Engineering approach for assigned projects. The position typically involves leading a group of Project Controls professionals to support assigned project(s) and has responsibility for establishing Project Controls organization, procedures and continuous improvement. A senior Project Controls Manager would also have responsibility for providing input to the further development of project strategies and tactical project decisions.
Responsibilities & Deliverables:
· Ensures safety is paramount in the cost and scheduling philosophy of the project. Provides commensurate leadership, example behavior to team members and participates in safety activities, procedures and follows up with planned safety audits.
· Provides leadership and manages the Project Control team including Planning, Estimating, Cost Control / Cost Engineering, and ancilliary teams to support GCE Projects during all phases of the projects
· Ensures that the project procedures and instructions are developed and maintained, and that best practices in project schedule, cost, change and risk management are applied consistent with GCE approach.
· Maintains close interfaces with business, project management and other project functional groups. Provides project portfolio planning and reporting
· Works in partnership with Project Managers to ensure they have the information needed for successful planning and managing of their projects
· Works with Project Control leads and resources to ensure that project control systems are fully implemented to meet project needs and reporting requirements
· Ensures EPC contractor(s) processes are compatible with the requirements outlined by Dow Corning
· Maintains close interface with business, project management and other project functional groups for overall GCE resource planning and portfolio management
· Provide project portfolios reports for local GCE projects, and interface with Corporate Teams for project follow-up and reporting
· Reviews and approves project cost estimates, and cost / schedule baselines
· Provides leadership to ensure cost versus schedule balance.
· Participates in the project scope and change management process and ensures timely completion and issuance of project change notices by the Project Controls team
· Reviews with Project Manager any potential baseline variances on schedule and cost, trends and cash flow, and recommends corrective actions
· Provides oversight of contractor scheduling, cost reporting / forecasting efforts to better ensure timeliness and accuracy of information.
· Leads the risk management process, participates in mitigation planning where appropriate and assists in finding best fit solutions.
· Locates, secures, continuously improves and mentors project controls leads, engineers and resources, coordinates orientation and training for project controls staff on tools and processes
· Participates in GCE developmental activities within the Project Controls / Project Management arena. Takes a lead in certain development initiatives for Project Control tools and deliverables as part of the global organization.
· Responsible for Project Control data retention and historical data of assigned projects / portofolio.
· Establishes and becomes recognized as regional GCE Project Controls specialist with the goal to provide leading edge, world class Project Controls knowledge, expertise and developed resources.
Reports directly to the Regional Capital Engineering Manager. Has a functional reporting line to the Global Project Controls Excellence leader
o Supervision of junior cost engineer or capital admininstrator in Barry. Supervision of Constructon QS and Functional leadership of similar profiles in Wiesbaden and Seneffe.
o Interfaces with 2 Project Leaders and 3 team leaders in Barry.
· Guiding principles and core values
o Lead by example
o Integrity and fairness
o Achieve value for money, at the right spec, on time and safely
· Value to Dow Corning
o Project execution experience and expertise
o Transferable leadership skills
o Discipline specific specialist skills
o Working in a team achieving complex goals under tight deadlines
o Governance (managing risk, change, cost and schedule)
o Developing / nurturing people to achieve a value added step change
o Specialist bias is Project Controls (cost, planning, change and risk management)
Required Dow Corning Leadership Behaviors for Position:
Coaching and Developing Others
Decision Making Speed
Integrity and Trust
Planning & Organizing
Taking Calculated Risks