Has the introduction from the early 1980s of PC based project management software improved the effe

• Page:

Has the introduction from the early 1980s of PC based project management software improved the effe

30 November -0001 12:00
When I began my career in project planning & scheduling in the mid 1970’s, manual preparation and hand drawing of arrow diagrams (ADM) on large sheets or transparencies was the norm. The associated data was tabulated and sent offsite to be processed via mainframe computers. The full analysis of the schedule was returned to site a week later. From the early 1980’s Micro Computer and then PC based applications such as Artemis, Open Plan, Primavera etc, became increasingly available and the precedence diagram method (PDM) replaced ADM. How do you feel these changes, for better or worse, have affected the effectiveness project of planning & scheduling.

Re: Has the introduction from the early 1980s of PC based project management software improved the effe

IMO, yes it has! If you utilize the Enterprise feature at Primavera P5, P6. One can control a portfolio of corporate projects thanks to the software. The graphics features can also show the resource loaded histograms and let you manage the peak periods and see if you reqire leveling or resources! I am sure there must be a lot more than that, may be someone else enrich us with more valuable info on this excisting topic.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

Re: Has the introduction from the early 1980s of PC based project management software improved the effe

I too have been knocking around long enough to remember the change from hand drawn paper programmes to PC based software. My method was to use an A3 sheet of graph paper and list the tasks down the Y axis and the Weeks along the top of the X axis. A thin pencil line drawn diagonally from top left to bottom right was a guide for the task sequence. Blocks of task time was drawn on the guide line and then inked in when it looked about right. The pencil guide line was then rubbed out and maybe one or two vertical links added. I still use the same method on PowerProject and the software has made the process infinitely better. We have to use the software these days because there is no option - and YES it is an advance. Best regards
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

When I started in Planning in the Seventies, I was in an office where I wore a white coat and everything was done "by the numbers"! It taught me to think and work with the resources rather than use the schedule as the raison detre. I was introduced to the Apollo planning software in 77 - 78 and later to Artemis and I worked with that until the introduction of Primavera in the late 80s. Since then Ive worked with all the major software and I have to say that it is only too easy to ignore all that has gone before and rely wholly on the software rather than on developing a schedule by hand, then transfer it to the PC. Developing a schedule from activity lists to "brown paper roll and post-its" to brainstorming the project around a table, before letting it get anywhere near a PC, are very important to the development of a "real" schedule and I think the presence of a PC may detract from the initial effort of the development. During the progress of the project, the PC really comes into its own. There are, however, massive improvements in the uptake and ownership of a prepared schedule by the project team - during the Seventies I was mostly seen as a necessary evil - and its a pleasure to work with people now who are aware of your capabilities and what you bring to the table. There are still the die-hards who believe the planner should do everything and insist on multiple reviews of the schedule being developed. Such a waste of time! My overall consideration? The software is wonderful, but brains and communication are the real creative force behind a good schedule.
  • Page: