Forum

• Page:

P6 or MSP

P6 or MSP

5 July 2010 11:45
Although i have been using P6 form ages, has the importance of MSP gone down.. How is MSP fairing with P6 recently ?

Re: P6 or MSP

5 July 2010 11:46
Comparing P6 and MSP is comparing apples and oranges. Now lets compare P6 to MSP Project Server Solution. Both project can handle simple and complex projects. They both can handle resource management on a small or large scale. I use MSP and Server extensively in System Engineering, Integration and R&D projects ranging from a few million to a few hundred million dollars and duration of multiple years without a problem using either tool. One critical element to remember is that MSP is a project scheduling tool it develops and manages schedules and associated information. P6 provides this + other project management tools. Anyone who tries to sell people on the idea that P6 or other versions are better at managing schedules than MSP or vice-versa have never developed schedules or managed them without these tools. I was always told that "A poor carpenter blames his tools". You can schedule a project using either tool and control it at the same level of detail required. MSP and MSP Server tend to be easier to use because for many the layout is familiar to them.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

5 July 2010 11:47
I do not know the exact nature of your planning & scheduling exercises. If you need to produce an explicit, feasible, rational schedule for each resource as part of the overall schedule (of a single project or multiple projects), you must inquire how efficiently these popular tools meet the need in general. There are some software tools which automatically meet this need within seconds, facilitating fast and extensive what-if analysis of resource loaded schedules. If you have such a need, it may be better for you to inquire about them. Our multi-project scheduling software, Schedlyzer Lite is one of such tools. It is very useful when limited resources of an organization are to be optimally assigned to various projects. The optimal resource assignment to tasks as an inseparable part of the scheduling exercise can make a big difference in the overall project management. No organization has so many resources that it can ignore their optimal assignment in project scheduling. The popularity of some software obscures the availability of such powerful scheduling tools.

8 July 2010 5:14
MS Project or Primavera? My observation is that they tend to be favored by different industries. I would recommend you research what the most commonly accepted program is for your industry. Construction, Energy & Aerospace primarily uses Primavera products (Suretrak, P3, P6v7) while IT, defense aqcuisition and government agencies typically use MS Project products (2003, 2007, 2010, Server versions). Although, there are companies that use MS Project in Construction and Primavera has significantly grown their user base in the IT field and Government agencies. I think it makes sense for someone starting out to use the commonly accepted program for their industry.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

6 December 2010 7:34
Would Prefer P6 to MSP due to its handling capabilities - No. of activities in excess of 10,000 activities are handled much well by P6, further you have extended features like progress update feature that allows you to generate pure physical progress curve utilizing time weightage pointers immediately on making your CPM prior to getting into resource and cost loading. Especially useful in complex EPC jobs for detailed Engineering and procurement works, engineering works you could have manhour loading depict the progress measurement standards (again here the basis of calculation done by the system of getting the earned manhour calcuatation based on progress percentage is the same (say for activity 30% complete - 1000 Budgeted Mhrs converted by System in to 300 Mhrs, if you are depicting the Overall Engineering progress on % Basis you would cummulative the overall earned manhours and divide that by Budgeted Mhrs to depcit % Compete, instead the time weightage pointers gives this to you directly), on procurement works - when you have major long lead items that have sufficient production and shipment lead times, this measure utilizing time weightage pointers provides a common parameter for the overall project.  Ease of Working with Layouts in P6: Further to distribute sections of program works to individual depts/ trade personnel and record and display progress achieved on Say Dry Wall Partition Architectural works on 25th Floor of Building B on a Project is much better organized using Primavera than MSP.  Global Changes Feature that allows you to make required parametric changes on the whole/section of works with minimal effort is definitely a big plus. Earned Value Calculations - The options provided in Calculation of Estimate to Complete based on either linear or pro-rata distribution is a big plus. For Monitoring Multitude of Projects at corporate level would definitely prefer P6 especially to track, monitor and analyze the companys resource  utilization and Earned Value projections across projects. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Edit: 8 years, 11 months ago by Bala. Reason: (NULL)
Joined On:
09 Apr 2019

30 November -0001 12:00
Safe to say that P6 is suited for large-scale projects in industries such as Construction, Oil and Gas, Energy. On the other hand, MSP is more convenient for small-scale projects or people starting out as schedulers. I would like to point out to this external resource, further outlining some of the major differences between these two scheduling software solutions.
  • Page: