P6 resources

• Page:

P6 resources

Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

P6 resources

27 April 2010 11:46
I am looking to use Primavera P6 as a tool that can be utilised by HR at a high level. The mandate is to be able to load into each project the Owners Teams and Owners Team support personell as resources against specific roles as would normally be done. The issue then is finding an output that provides something meaningful like what was producable within P3.1. A Tablular Loading Style report that can be produced against the entire enterprise by Person (Reource) along the left and timescaled. Here in producing HR a tool that can be used to understand when one person is finishing and can be moved on or looking at under or over utilisation. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

Re: P6 resources

27 April 2010 11:47
If you have resources assigned to activities in the schedules then you can view the resource allocation in tablular form using the Resource Assignment View in P6. In this view you can filter, group and sort just like you can in the activity view but using resource assignment fields such as resource or role. In your Layout, make sure you have the Resource Usage Spreadsheet checked on.

27 April 2010 12:50
Using P6 for resource management is not an easy task but I will try my best to explain that in 6 KEY Steps. Step 1: Build Role Breakdown Structure (RBS) - Unstaffed Units in P6 Step 2: Build Resource Dictionary - Staffed Units in P6 Step 3: Assign Role to Tasks Step 4: Assign available Resources to Roles assigned Step 5: Perform GAP analysis using Role Assignment View Staff vs Unstaffed Profile Step 6: Perform Resource Capacity Analysis using Resource Assignment View Staffed/Resource compared to allocated Limit
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

27 April 2010 12:52
I have a similar situation here and might be useful in a portfolio of projects. Our engineering team is involved in multiple projects. And our engineering managers strongly oppose the allocation of resource names to activities which will take out their flexibility to manage the jobs. Also,since they change people from the activities time to time ( every month, its horrible), it will have an impact on rates/hour aswell. So what I have done is as mentioned by Dave proceed upto Step 3 i.e assign roles ( with rates and role ids) to all activities for all projects. I will get a time phased role allocation for any one project in the assignment view in P6. Group it based on the roles and then click anywhere on the layout,select all and copy and paste it on a new excel spreadsheet ( no need to use export function as in P3 ). Do that for all other projects.Then you can play around in excel (may have to use pivot table etc) to get the desired result. You will get total hours of any roles for any time period. Do histograms and what ever you require. We have to spend a bit of time in P6 project Management module. This might be easy in P6 portfolio Management module.
Last Edit: 14 years ago by Richard Pearson. Reason: (NULL)

27 April 2010 12:53
We also use P6v7 (from 4.0) onward for workforce planning. Just like above, use the roles to identify need and then populate when ready. Because we just have the schedulers in the client and Web Access (MyPrimavera) is still not that friendly, we export to create a waterfall via excel. They update and we in turn take the changes and put them in the projects.
  • Page: