6 to 8 milestones for each discipline to track engineering drawing progress

• Page:

Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

14 April 2010 1:41
I am looking for a list of 6 to 8 milestones for each discipline to track engineering drawing progress, ie Gathering information, drawing index, 10% and so on. Can someone send me a list. Thanks

Re: 6 to 8 milestones for each discipline to track engineering drawing progress

14 April 2010 1:43
We are using the following milestones for engineering progress which may be helpful for you; WORK STEPS AND WEIGHT FACTORS FOR ENGINEERING A. Drawings (This category includes; Approval Drawings, Review Drawings & Approval Other Documents) (1) Start 0.05 (2) Study and Preparation (Drafting) 0.45 (3) Issue for Internal Review 0.10 (4) Issue to COMPANY 0.10 (5) Review or Approval by COMPANY 0.15 (6) Issue for Construction 0.15 B. Drawings (This category includes: P&ID, UHD) (1) Start 0.05 (2) Study and Preparation (Drafting) 0.45 (3) Issue for Internal Review 0.10 (4) Issue to COMPANY 0.10 (5) Review or Comment by COMPANY 0.15 (6) Issue to COMPANY for Hazop Study 0.05 (7) Review or Approval by COMPANY 0.05 ( Issue for Construction 0.05 C. Specifications (This category includes: Approval Specifications, Review Other Documents) (1) Start 0.05 (2) Preparation (Drafting) 0.45 (3) Review and Issue to COMPANY 0.15 (4) Review or Approval by COMPANY 0.20 (5) Issue for Construction/Record 0.15 D. Requisitions (1) Start 0.05 (2) Preparation (including MTO) 0.45 (3) Review and Issue to COMPANY 0.15 (4) Review by COMPANY 0.20 (5) Issue for Purchase 0.15 E. Information Drawings (1) Start 0.05 (2) Preparation (Drafting) 0.45 (3) Issue for Internal Review 0.35 (4) Issue for Construction/Record 0.15 F. Information Specifications (1) Start 0.10 (2) Preparation (Drafting) 0.70 (3) Issue for Construction/Record 0.20 G. Information Documents (1) Start 0.10 (2) Preparation (Drafting) 0.70 (3) Issue for Construction/Record 0.20
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

20 April 2010 2:00
Some of the above industrial projects may have from 2000 to 5000 drawings depending upon the type. P&IDs almost always have multiple issues, i.e. Heat & Material balance, Unit Operations Equipment, Hydraulics, Control etc. They typically pass from Process engineering to Instrument engineering and to piping or plant design. I have seen P&IDs with 4 to 8 different issues for different purposes. The same applies to electrical single lines, as they pass back and forth between electrical design, protection, or instrumentation and control, equipment sizing, wire diagrams, loop function diagrams etc. Architectural drawings also have multiple disciplines back and forth passes beyond the 20% conceptual, 80% design. Other issues to consider are drawings that issue to procurement, receipt of prelim vendor drawings for review, issued for correction, issued for design, issued for review of final design, issued for fabrication, final drawings issued for construction. I typically do not include all of the above Level 4 Detail in a schedule. I prefer getting all of the disciplines together to agree on types, numbers, back and forth passes, and then use this information to create a drawing schedule or index (in excel format) that records where the drawings are currently, along with the next steps. I weight or allocate hrs to each drawing and then spread the values among the steps. Finally, all drawings must pass through document control, and document control cannot be owned or managed by engineering. As the drawings are received, the doc control tabulates hrs or weight earned. The total tally becomes one type of basis for reporting engineering progress by discipline. How you manage this process can have a significant impact of design time and cost.

14 April 2010 1:46
I totally agree with all the comments above and wish to add..... Look into your contract. The job contract will have a guideline to track progress which the Client and Contractor have agreed to. The guideline in the contract might be simple or detailed to the last penny, but these are the steps one must include besides adding more meat to the bone. Some contracts will also have a agreed percentage for each step. Eg: Item B: Drawings : Start 5% etc. Once you have the table for measuring the progress, this must be jointly agreed by both parties or all parties in the project. I usually include rolled up bars in my schedule and maintain a detailed table in excel. As for obtaining progress, i get these information either from document control team or from the contractor depending which camp you are with. Hope this helps.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

14 April 2010 1:47
Fellows - We seem to be missing the following key activities/milestones: PM & PE review of the RFP/SOW, and resources; team (engr leads/CADD leads/document control lead and procurement if a design build) review/input of/to SOW; engineering (calculations, material/equipment/instrumentation selection, etc.) side; constructability reviews; cost engineering - rough [scoping] estimate / preliminary estimate / IFC estimate, and value engineerring - cost / risk [Monte Carlo] anlysis. The aforementioned are and must be based on the projects structure of its SOW&exection plan, schematic design, FEED, detail design.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

20 April 2010 2:00
We too have literally dozen of progress templates we use on engineering activities. However I am not a real fan of this. My view is that less is best. Earned Value is just an approximation to help us understand how we are progressing and people get over scientific about this. I see people trying to earn in between milestone as well. No matter what technique you use you are either under or over reporting on earned value for a particular engineering activity anyway since planned seldom reflects reality 100% over a deliverable lifecycle. However when you roll this up at the discipline level it averages out, especially when you have 100s of drawings/documents active at any one time. Also keep into perspective that most of these deliverables span little more than one reporting period so all these milestone are unlikely to be stepped into but rather stepped over. You will find that at a discipline level usign fewer miltestones produces basically the same reported progress through averaging. For those of you that never worked in software engineering in the Defence sector (where earned value is most widely used) you may be suprised to find that activities typically have only two milestones: start and finish with earned value options typically 0/100, 25/75, 50/50 etc. You keep activities to one or two reporting periods and it works just fine. The overhead of over prescribing progress templates is simply not warranted. People will get confused with all that data, and engineers will continue to manipulate progress as they now have more options. Who is really going to check attainment of all those milestones anyway? Even a doc control system does not go into that level of detail so theres little chance to automate there. And if you cannot check then you are being fed BS from engineering. Keep it simple and spend you time trapping exceptions, reporting inconsitencies, analysing variances and proposing corrective actions. You will end up with far better reports that way.
  • Page: