Power plant turnaround schedule / WBS

• Page:

Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

1 April 2010 1:30
I need to look at a Power plant turnaround schedule / WBS, if possible a coal fired one, if anyone has got this piece of data I would really appreciate it, Im also open for any possible experience sharing.

Re: Power plant turnaround schedule / WBS

1 April 2010 1:31
I can give you a little idea from Maintenance Management: (a) Work Order Control (b) Equipment Control (c) Spare parts Control (d) Cost Control. All network/WBS for an outage are built on this principle. Wherever the outage (shutdown) is being done, Equipment maintenace/replacement is the main activity, but, spare parts is the most important aspect. W.O. Control is the document that authorizes work. I hope this will help you build your WBS.
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

1 April 2010 1:55
Thanks Stevan, I understand that the work order is the document specifying the maintenance work to be done, and that it is kept in the backlog, until a turnaround is scheduled "whether a short one or a major one", where work orders that could fit in the turnaround period and have enough resources to satisfy , then these work orders are added to the scope of work to be done during the turnaround, I understand also that for short unexpected turnarounds this procedure is different so this is what you meant by work order control?? Actually I dont have the job in hand, but Im about to be interviewed for a turnaround scheduler role, the interviewer knows that I never had practical experience on this kind of jobs, and he also needs the scheduler for construction jobs "Air quality control", so I wanted to do my homework try to take a look at similar schedules , WBS, reports so Im familiar with the features of this job,
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

1 April 2010 1:51
I worked years ago in one on the cost side of things and would like to see what you get for an answer to this. There are not that many different systems in a coal plant, so I would like to see what someone offers. The client has not provided you with some cost structure? The WBS is one way to look at things. That typically ONLY serves the client needs and doesnt help or make it user friendly for the construction side of things. for this reason, other codes are helpful to be able to sort data, for other reasons. Physical Area, disciplines, etc.

1 April 2010 1:52
We do some maintenance and shutdown scheduling work for power plants, and the schedules are dependent on the type of overhaul work to be done. Typically, our clients have categories of maintenance work, with separate lists of tasks in SAP, where they provide resource information. Then we know that if the project includes a boiler renovation, we pull in the boiler template with resources, if its environmental controls, we pull in that template, and so on. I havent seen a comprehensive schedule for all aspects of a plant project. Does the term "Turnaround" imply a specific scope of work for your plant?
Joined On:
30 Sep 2017

1 April 2010 1:54
A physical area breakdown structure is what I always use to coordinate the jobs over multi disciplines. At the same time the WBS is used to report progress to the client. Take care to not mix up your WBS with your OBS. Chjeck out templates in SAP. As in a shutdown (turnarund) these big repetative jobs only make up 25% of the total number of jobs. 75% of your preparation time is taken up by those nasty little one off repair jobs. And putting the big repatative ones in a system like SAP makes the balance between them even worse.
  • Page: